Area residents report credit/debit card fraud

2011-04-08T23:04:00Z Area residents report credit/debit card fraudCynthia Beaudette Muscatine Journal
April 08, 2011 11:04 pm  •

MUSCATINE, Iowa — Montpelier residents Shelly and Troy Davis know they aren’t the only recent victims of financial fraud in Muscatine County.

Like the Davises, Shelly’s brother, Shannon Dugan of Wilton, learned someone had stolen and used his debit card number in late March to make a purchase in another state.

The cards were not stolen, said Shelly Davis, 33, but the numbers were obtained somehow and used.

Muscatine County Attorney Alan Ostergren said the Muscatine County Sheriff’s Office and Muscatine Police Department are investigating incidents of debit and credit cards being stolen and used in the area.

Troy Davis, 39, realized something was wrong when his debit card was rejected March 25 at the Muscatine Pizza Hut.

The IH Mississippi Valley Credit Union, issuers of the card, closed it down shortly after discovering someone in Chicago used it to charge $750 in merchandise at an OfficeMax, said Shelly Davis.

“They recognized that as fraud right away,” she said.  “Our bank took care of it and gave Troy a new card and account number.”

Davis said it appears the numbers from her husband’s and her brother’s cards were taken March 23.

“My brother found out right away,” said Shelly Davis. “His bank called him and said, ‘Are you trying to use

your card in Brooklyn, N.Y.?’ and he said, ‘No.’ Someone was trying to buy gas with it.”

Shelly Davis said IH Mississippi Valley Credit Union officials told her husband thieves may be putting devices into ATM machines that read information.

People who find their credit and debit card numbers compromised should contact their financial institution and the police, Ostergren said.

Muscatine Police Capt. Steve Snider said his department has  been receiving more calls than usual concerning this type of theft.

“It seems a lot of area residents have been targeted,” he said. “We have open investigations going on.”

Fraudulently obtaining credit and debit card numbers is a crime that’s difficult to track, said Snider.

There are cell phone  applications that allow users to swipe a card and store the information and devices that capture information on credit cards can be inserted into ATMs.

It is also possible that the electronic payment processing systems used by many merchants may be hacked, said Snider.

Snider said debit cards are easier to use fraudulently than regular credit cards.

“There’s a disproportionate number of debit card cases coming through,” said Snider.

Snider advises people to refrain from using a debit card when it will be taken out of sight, such as when   restaurant personnel take the card to a register. He also recommends using credit cards for online purchases rather than debit cards.

Copyright 2015 Muscatine Journal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(14) Comments

1. 2beersforsistersarah
    2beersforsistersarah - April 09, 2011 8:20 am
    Not surprised. We have had to have the bank cancel and change my card 3 different times in the last couple of years, and my spouses card once. In each instance it was for unauthorized purchases using our account numbers.

We check our accounts every day.
  2. Report Abuse
    - April 09, 2011 10:20 am
    Ours was obtained also this week. We are at Community Bank and they say we are far from the only ones. My step dad had his numbers stolen this morning. All of my charges are coming from Brooklyn, NY also.
  3. cornfed
    cornfed - April 09, 2011 5:16 pm
    i use community bank this has happen once on my checking and now on my joint account with my wife. wander if its shazam?? oh and thanks to community for NOT calling me and telling, instead my wife gets gas and things and it doesnt work.
  4. tired
    tired - April 09, 2011 8:53 pm
    Some one I know also had it done a couple of weeks ago, and they have Ascentra Credit Union. They didn't get a call either.
    They found out when they were getting gas and their debit card was declined.

5. dasco357
    dasco357 - April 10, 2011 6:58 am
    My bank is out of Burlington but I shop a lot in Muscatine. My debit card numbers were stolen/used 2 weeks ago. My bank put a restriction on my card after the theives spent $400 on electronics in Illinois. Took two weeks and lots of paper work but got the money put back into my account.
  6. Strat Man
    Strat Man - April 10, 2011 12:05 pm
    Before calling the Police, have your financial institution print a fraud report and give the Police a copy of the fraud report. This will help their investigation.
  7. honeybee54
    honeybee54 - April 11, 2011 10:07 am
    My son and daughter-in-law also bank at Community Bank and were not notified their account had been used until they went to use the card and it was declined. Their's was used in Chicago. It's a shame the bank is not notifying their customers when they are putting a hold on their cards rather than waiting until they try to use them for their own purchases and find they are declined.
  8. grad92
    grad92 - April 11, 2011 11:34 am
    I had a relative get their numbers stolen and put on a fake credit card and were trying to purchase a large amount at a Home Depot. At the same time they were swiping that card my relative swipped their's at the same time in Davenport and both of the transactions were stopped. The credit card company called my relative asap and asked where they were at the time because the card was swipped on the east coast at the same time.
  9. Meathead
    Meathead - April 11, 2011 10:58 pm
    Someone got my number also. Got a call asking me if I was using my card in Texas. They went on a shopping spree, tried to use it 7 times in a few hrs.
  10. SE Man
    SE Man - April 13, 2011 12:02 pm
    Saw this conversed on facebook. Just in the Muscatine area? Did everyone use an ATM machine? Did everyone use the same one? Maybe everyone can tell which one they used?
  11. jetmech11jr
    jetmech11jr - April 17, 2011 1:46 am
    It happened to a friend of mine who backs at Centra State. Her card was used in Indiana. She too went to buy gas and something to drink and her card was declined. Her bank did call her though.
  12. Allen87
    Allen87 - April 18, 2011 4:09 pm
    This happened to a lot of my friends and myself. MCCU did a great job of returning my money to me. We all narrowed it down to have only shared one common place where we all used our debit and credit cards. A "cultural eating establishment" on Park Ave. Others on Facebook narrowed it down to the same place as well. Upon my own research, I found that the money was used to purchase online gift cards, which are then resold for cash online. Nearly untraceable if you don't know about the process.
  13. mamaforobama
    mamaforobama - April 19, 2011 1:00 pm
    This happened to us also. Charges in New York and ARkansas.
  14. Familygirl
    Familygirl - April 19, 2011 5:05 pm
    It is Shazam that puts the restriction on the cards. My bank told me that Shazam is investigating and it is down to 4 stores that has a breech in their security system. I don't shop at 3 of them so that only leaves Walmart.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick