Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Schalke apologizes for racist abuse of Dortmund's Moukoko
AP

Schalke apologizes for racist abuse of Dortmund's Moukoko

  • Updated
  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany (AP) — Schalke has apologized for its fans’ racist abuse of Borussia Dortmund youth player Youssoufa Moukoko during a match between the rival clubs’ under-19 sides on Sunday.

“Derby emotions aside, we completely condemn and oppose such insults,” Schalke said on Twitter.

In a tweet with the hashtag “NoToRacism,” the club said its supporter relations department “will take the necessary measures.”

Some Schalke fans can be heard abusing the 15-year-old striker on video after he scored his third goal from distance against their side in the 63rd minute.

“It has to be condemned in the strongest possible terms,” Schalke's sporting director Jochen Schneider said before Schalke's Bundesliga game against Union Berlin on Sunday. “It's becoming impossible to put into words what some people allow themselves (to do).”

Only around 300 supporters with personalized tickets were allowed at the game due to coronavirus restrictions, so Schneider said he hoped it would be possible to find the perpetrators. He said he apologized on behalf of Schalke to Moukoko and Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke.

Schalke coach Manuel Baum said values were a top priority for him, “so how the club has positioned itself was exactly the right reaction.”

Moukoko, who is Black, will be eligible for Dortmund’s senior team when he turns 16 on Nov. 20. He scored a hat trick in the under-19s’ 3-2 Ruhr derby win. It was his third hat trick in three competitive games after a 3-0 cup win against SV Wehen Wiesbaden and 5-0 league win at Preußen Münster.

Dortmund reacted to the abuse of the player with a tweet containing the hashtag “NoToRacism.”

———

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP—Sports

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

0
0
0
0
0

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

THE HAGUE (AP) — The Dutch royal couple were back in the Netherlands Saturday after their vacation trip to Greece had to be abandoned because of an uproar back home, where people are urged to stay at home as much as possible.

  • Updated

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch king issued a video message Wednesday saying he had “regret in the heart” and he shouldn't have flown to Greece for a family vacation last week, a trip that was quickly broken off amid public uproar back home where people are being urged to stay home as much as possible to battle the coronavirus.

  • Updated

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Hospitals across the United States are starting to buckle from a resurgence of COVID-19 cases, with several states setting records for the number of people hospitalized and leaders scrambling to find extra beds and staff. New highs in cases have been reported in states big and small — from Idaho to Ohio — in recent days.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News